Namstocktraders Ratio, Tangible Common Equity, Tangible and Intangible Assets, Tier 1 Capital Ratio

I don’t feel like to post my trades until I break my losing streak. I guess that is understandable. The more I want to guess bank earning right the more I want to understand what all the financial terms means. I almost read through Wells Fargo’s first quarter financial report. Wells Fargo Earns Record $3.05 Billion, $0.56 EPS. I found it was daunting to understand all the information there as I didn’t remember the meanings of all the financial terms in the report. So I am going to understand it bit by bit and understand it a few terms at a time.

Namstocktraders Ratio
It stands for Tangible common equity ratio. It equals total tangible common equity divided by total tangible assets.

Tangible Common Equity
Tangible common equity is the amount of tangible asset that common shareholders would receive if the company were closed. So it doesn’t include intangible asset

Intangible Asset
Assets that do not have a definite existence are called intangible assets. They have neither a physical form nor give their owner definite financial rights. Deferred tax assets, good will, patents and copyrights and capitalized R & D, trade names and franchises are intangible assets.

Intangible Asset
Assets that have a physical existence, or give the holders definite set of financial rights. Land, machinery, bank deposits and investments security are tangible assets.

Tier 1 Capital Ratio
The Tier 1 capital ratio is the ratio of a bank’s core equity capital to its total risk-weighted assets (Source: Wikipedia). Risk-weighted assets are the total of all assets held by the bank which are weighted for credit risk according to a formula determined by the Regulator. Assets like cash and coins usually have zero risk weight, while debentures (also called note or unsecured corporate bond) might have a risk weight of 100%. Core equity capital consists primarily common stock and retained earnings. Tier 1 capital ratio is seen as a metric of a bank’s ability to sustain future losses.

I don’t know what is deferred tax asset but it shouldn’t affect me to understand Wells Fargo’s financial report

0 comments:

Post a Comment