My Mind Switched Side But so Did the Market

From the past few weeks of trading I had concluded in a previous post that live was much better on the long side. So I reminded myself from time to time to avoid taking the short side. I thought about taking the short side in pre-market this morning when I noticed future was down so much but I was hold account balance 20090622back because of past experience. In retrospect if I went short at pre-market and went long in after-market then what a great day it was going to be.

Anyway I bought Bank of America and I bought 2,000 shares at average $12.50. I not only bought Bank of America but also added more Patriot Coal (PCX) also at $6.12. My average on PCX is now $6.90. I am buying the dip. In fact I am all in already and on a small margin. I changed from the short mind to a long mind and the market changed from bullish to bearish. The result was of course I lose big. At today’s close I lost almost $2,500 today. My account balance stood at $27,107.79 which was 10% down from my initial capital.

I bought Bank of America because I was betting there would be a run up after the prefer to common share conversion. I am surprised to see someone post my link about the conversion on yahoo message board

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_(A_to_Z)/Stocks_B/threadview?m=tm&bn=1903&tid=1042741&mid=1042741&tof=11&frt=2.

I still think my entry point at $12.50 can make me some money in a couple of days because I believe the conversion price will be above $12.50. But I feel a bit shaky after seeing the market tanked like this today.

I am not sure if I should put today’s trading in the lesson learned category but I put it there any way. I don’t know what kind of lesson I have learned today. Probably I act too early again in the trading day. At least I put it there so that it would remind me what I was thinking when I losing big on my trades

0 comments:

Post a Comment