I Have Too Many IFs in My Mind

I covered my 2000 shares of shorted Bank of America yesterday at $13.30 only to realize it dropped half a dollar more today. Half a dollar a share is translated into $1,000 lost. That means if I still keep the 2000 shares shorted BAC I would recoup almost all my lost. As I mentioned in my previous post my average price on the shorted position was $12.50. If you read my previous post I almost increased 2000 shares of shorted position on BAC when it was at $13.20. If I did that the average price would be at $12.75 and I would able to recoup all my lost today. The only thing is that I have to hold the shorted position for four days. If I increased my shorted position the day before yesterday on BAC at $13.70 which was the closing price that day (I had thought about that). My average would be $13.10 and I could make a very nice profit today.

I know there are too many IFs. Every time when I looked back at my lost I became a very sophisticated programmer making a lot of complex IF statements. I think this run up on BAC and the last one I experienced on Wells Fargo tell us something in common. If a stock runs up too fast and out paces its peers by 15% percent or more not because of fundamental changes and not because of the sentiment of the whole sector then it is doom to retreat. Of course to someone who shorted at $13.70 the day before yesterday there was a lot of luck for them because no one can predict the NY Empire Manufacturing Index drop so much yesterday.

So much so for retrospection. I made some profit today and became a holder of Bank America again at a much higher price. As you know I bought it at $12.06 last week only to sold it too fast. I bought 1000 shares of Bank of America closing to end of the market at $12.76. I made a lot of trades today. I brought MGM in pre-market and sold it for a small profit. I sold my Western Refining position for a small profit. I bought BAC at $12.99 and sold it at $13.10 before I bought it again at closing. At the end My account was up $309.78. The value of put position I am holding drop a bit. Excluding that the trades I did today net more than $400 profit. I expect I will eventually collect all the proceed from selling the puts. If I don’t trade for the rest of the week my account should still be up $400 by the end of the week and I should get back above my initial capital level which is $30,000.

Hopefully the data is good tomorrow and I can make some profit on BAC. BAC’s trading range this week will determine the common share price Bank of America uses to convert its prefer shares. I believe there will be great opportunity to make profit. I believe it is very likely that BAC’s price will trade above the conversion price right after it is announced (June 23rd) and before the final conversion deadline which is June 24th.So I will watch out and keep an estimate of the conversion price. I believe the investment banks will Jag up BAC price large enough to attract prefer share holder to tender their shares for conversion after the conversion price announcement.

Lets see if this is correct


Account Balance Change: $309.78

0 comments:

Post a Comment