I Bought Something Today

I finally decided to buy something today. I bought 500 shares of FIG (FORTRESS INV GP LLC). That is not much and I am planning to hold it for a while. I just bet it will report a good quarter. I thought Bank of America would go down after its earning release but that thought was proven so wrong. BAC just kept going up with the other big banks and with the overall market. If I don’t remember wrong almost all data released these few weeks exceeded expectations. The Dow went from 8150 to 9300 in a few weeks. It turned out that we should be all in when the DOW was at about 8000. And it clearly showed a V share recovery at least during the past two quarters.

Thinking back I was quite stupid to liquidate my entire portfolio back in March when the market was close to its lowest. As I mentioned I had a portfolio of about 100K back in year 2000 and when I liquidated my portfolio I got back about 30k. I still keep track of my original portfolio and my original portfolio has MSFT, INTC, ORCL, JNPR, EMC and SNPS. If I didn’t touch it I would have 65K today instead of 27k. So I started to question my new ways of investing - day trading. What I see is that there is no one way of investing to work well at all times. I bet no day trader worked better than someone that bought and held for the past couple of quarters.

I ask myself do I want to go back to buy and hold? I don’t know the answer yet. I feel there are some companies worth to buy and hold. I am recently looking at something very conservative like Q(Quest Communication), OB (OneBeacon Insurance Group) and BP. I might be too late on OB because I feel its price is going to jump starting today. I am watching the big banks also. The big banks were doing very well but somehow I feel they are just very good at hiding the bad news or postponing them. I still think they are overvalued unless they resume a reasonable size of dividend payout which could be years away.

I haven’t report my balance for a while and there is not much change. My balance stood at $27,107 and I am holding 500 shares of FIG at the moment

0 comments:

Post a Comment